Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bull Run Mountain

Having discovered that yesterday, Monday, was over 80 degrees, Aaron and I decided to pack it in just a tiny bit early from work and go to Bull Run Mountain.  At the moment, I have not started my new job, and he is able to work flexible hours, so we were able to head out at 3:00 PM.  We knew it was hot, and we didn't care.  Skimpy tank top and jeans and good shoes?  Check!  Pints and pints of water and gatorade?  Check!  Bandana for sweat control?  Check check!

The drive was short.  Bull Run Mountain is the nearest climbable mountain to Washington DC area, and it was a good target - being against traffic on the return trip, unlike some Maryland climbs.  The elevation gain from where we parked to the overlook was 700 feet.  That's 70 flights of stairs.

I approached this with the air of one going to take out the damn trash.  It's a thing that must be done and therefore, by god, I'm going to do it.   Readers, one thing you must know about me is I am not in prime shape.  I'm getting there!  And I have made a commitment to undo years of exercise neglect my body has gone through.    I believe for someone in peak shape, a 5.5 mile hike with 700 feet of elevation gain would be a walk in the park.  For me, this was a supreme challenge but on my quest to eventually be a hiker for weeks at a time, I need to be able to conquer elevation.

My inhaler, my ibuprofen, my husband and I all climbed this mountain together.  Each time I stopped to drink and catch my breath, I didn't feel a failure for stopping - I felt a success for keeping moving.  I felt a brilliant glow of accomplishment for taking those steps up that mountain.  Each time I stopped just reminded me I am human, and I have to keep moving to find my stride. 

That's really what this journey is about - my stride.  I have a partner whose stride matches mine, and I am so very, very lucky.  We need to find the rhythm that makes our bodies sing.  For me, that's being outdoors with the sun and the wind and trying new things, hard things.

And so I won't pretend that this wasn't hard.  It was - the way up took twice as long as the way back down.  But at the top, we stopped and sat on an outcropping of rock.  (I climbed up the boulders to sit!  Another thing that I never would have done three years ago!)  My feet were at the edge, and just past them, raptors flew up and down the ridge.  They would glide through the sky, their outstretched wings seeming to be motionless, though they were making swoops and dives.  I couldn't see their nests, but just to be among them, almost conversant...

That was the theme of the day.  Amazing.

Time spent on trail:  2.5 hours
Difficulty:  Moderate-hard - if you're good at climbing, moderate.  If not, it's a toughie.
Bonuses:  Self-esteem and accomplishment.
View:  Raptors!  Hills!  Valleys!  Ridge lines! 
Kid friendly:  Yes, for older children.  It's tough and would exhaust most small ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment