Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Packing List and Gluten Free Hiking Meals

Aaron and I find ourselves without children for Memorial Day weekend.  We've decided to make a 4 day hike out of it, backpacking along 50ish miles of the Appalachian Trail.  This is going to be a huge event for me, but what amazes me most is the idea of a packing list.  I ask myself, what will I need when setting away from technology for 4 days?  I'll have my iphone but I will only be using it for photos, and a call home at night. 

Eventually we nailed it down to this list.  I keep staring at it and thinking I'm forgetting something!  The food was a difficult bit - I eat no chemicals and I'm gluten free, and as we'll be burning about 6,000 calories per day, I'd kind of like to consume at least 3,000 - which is hard for me, who is used to about 1700.  But I think we've got a plan in place that should feed us.

** Food
Breakfasts:
Oatmeal packets
Pecans & Craisins
Folgers coffee singles

Lunches:
Perky turkey jerky
Trail mix with 72% dark chocolate, cashews, almonds, raisins
Dried apricots
Dried pineapple

Snacks:
Snickers bars
Glutino cereal bars
Sunflower seeds, already shelled

Dinner:
Dehydrated peas
Dehydrated potato buds
Organic split pea soup mix
Chicken bullion cubes, also organic
Crunchmaster crackers
Nutella

** For Sleeping
Tent Body   
Tent Poles/Stakes
Winter Bag  
Summer Bag
Underquilt  
Tiny pillow  
Nightlight  

** Clothing-related (1 stuff sack per person)
Shoes   
2 pair hiking socks
2 pair Ex Officio 
4 pair microfiber 
Hiking shorts/capris
Hiking top  
Sleeping top 
Comfy bra  
Sleeping socks  
Orange fleece   
Long sleeve shirt 
Flip flops for Jen 

** Food-related (in a bear bag and other)
Stove   
Fuel and spare
Aluminum Pot
Spoon   
Small container dish soap
Cup   
Lighter and spare
Water Filter  
Water bottles
Food  
Paracord (for bear bag) 

** Toiletries Bag
Toothbrushes   
Toothpaste  
Purel   
Small bottle lotion 
Body Glide  
Baby Powder
Bug Spray
Sunscreen
Floss   
Needle  

** Medicine Bag
Neosporin  
Band aids  
Alcohol Wipes
Vitamins   
Ibuprofen 
Benadryl  
Immodium  
Breatheright strips 
Tums   
Inhaler
   
** Miscellaney
Packs   
Pack Liners (2 ea trash bags)
Beltloop watch   
Camera/Cell  
Headlamps 
Cash/credit cards  
Trekking poles  
Duct Tape (on pole) 
Camp Towel  
Baby Wipes   
Knife    
Maps and guide   
Pen and paper  
TP and trowel
Plastic baggies 
Deck of cards  
Iota   

No comments:

Post a Comment